Wagtail 2.11 release notes¶
Wagtail 2.11 is designated a Long Term Support (LTS) release. Long Term Support releases will continue to receive maintenance updates as necessary to address security and data-loss related issues, up until the next LTS release (typically a period of 12 months).
With this release, Wagtail now has official support for authoring content for multiple languages/regions.
To find out more about this feature, see Multi-language content.
We have also developed a new plugin for translating content between different
wagtail-localize. You can find details about
on its GitHub page.
This feature was sponsored by The Mozilla Foundation and Torchbox.
This release introduces support for creating page aliases.
Page aliases are exact copies of another page that sit in another part of the tree. They remain in sync with the original page until this link is removed by converting them into a regular page, or deleting the original page.
A page alias can be created through the “Copy Page” UI by selecting the “Alias” checkbox when creating a page copy.
This feature was sponsored by The Mozilla Foundation.
Collections (for organising images, documents or other media) can now be managed as a hierarchy rather than a flat list. This feature was developed by Robert Rollins.
before_delete_snippethooks and documentation (Karl Hobley. Sponsored by the Mozilla Foundation)
construct_snippet_listing_buttonshooks and documentation (Karl Hobley. Sponsored by the Mozilla Foundation)
wagtail --versionto available Wagtail CLI commands (Kalob Taulien)
hooks.register_temporarilyutility function for testing hooks (Karl Hobley. Sponsored by the Mozilla Foundation)
anyasciiin for Unicode to ASCII conversion (Robbie Mackay)
RoutablePageMixinto support serving template responses according to Wagtail conventions (Andy Babic)
- Specify minimum Python version in setup.py (Vince Salvino)
- Extend treebeard’s
fix_treemethod with the ability to non-destructively fix path issues and add a –full option to apply path fixes (Matt Westcott)
- Add support for hierarchical/nested Collections (Robert Rollins)
- Show user’s full name in report views (Matt Westcott)
- Improve Wagtail admin page load performance by caching SVG icons sprite in localStorage (Coen van der Kamp)
- Support SVG icons in ModelAdmin menu items (Scott Cranfill)
- Support SVG icons in admin breadcrumbs (Coen van der Kamp)
- Serve PDFs inline in the browser (Matt Westcott)
- Make document
- Slug generation no longer removes stopwords (Andy Chosak, Scott Cranfill)
- Add check to disallow StreamField block names that do not match Python variable syntax (François Poulain)
BASE_URLsetting is now converted to a string, if it isn’t already, when constructing API URLs (thenewguy)
- Preview from ‘pages awaiting moderation’ now opens in a new window (Cynthia Kiser)
- Add document extension validation if
WAGTAIL_DOCS_EXTENSIONSis set to a list of allowed extensions (Meghana Bhange)
django-admincommand in place of
construct_snippet_action_menuhooks to modify the actions available when creating / editing a snippet (Karl Hobley)
bulk_to_pythonon all structural StreamField block types (Matt Westcott)
- Add natural key support to
classnamekeyword argument on basic StreamField blocks to
- Replace page explorer pushPage/popPage with gotoPage for more flexible explorer navigation (Karl Hobley)
- Make page-level actions accessible to keyboard users in page listing tables (Jesse Menn)
WAGTAILFRONTENDCACHE_LANGUAGESwas being interpreted incorrectly. It now accepts a list of strings, as documented (Karl Hobley)
- Update oEmbed endpoints to use https where available (Matt Westcott)
edit_handlerbind order in ModelAdmin views and fix duplicate form instance creation (Jérôme Lebleu)
- Properly distinguish child blocks when comparing revisions with nested StreamBlocks (Martin Mena)
- Correctly handle Turkish ‘İ’ characters in client-side slug generation (Matt Westcott)
- Page chooser widgets now reflect custom
get_admin_display_titlemethods (Saptak Sengupta)
Page.copy()now raises an error if the page being copied is unsaved (Anton Zhyltsou)
Page.copy()now triggers a
page_publishedif the copied page is live (Anton Zhyltsou)
- The Elasticsearch
URLSsetting can now take a string on its own instead of a list (Sævar Öfjörð Magnússon)
- Avoid retranslating month / weekday names that Django already provides (Matt Westcott)
- Fixed padding around checkbox and radio inputs (Cole Maclean)
- Fix spacing around the privacy indicator panel (Sævar Öfjörð Magnússon, Dan Braghis)
- Consistently redirect to admin home on permission denied (Matt Westcott, Anton Zhyltsou)
IE11 support being phased out¶
This release begins the process of phasing out support for Internet Explorer. Please see IE11 for details of the timeline over which support will be dropped.
SiteMiddleware moved to
The SiteMiddleware class (which provides the
request.site property, and has been deprecated since Wagtail 2.9) has been moved to the
wagtail.contrib.legacy namespace. On projects where this is still in use, the
'wagtail.core.middleware.SiteMiddleware' entry in
MIDDLEWARE should be changed to
Collection model enforces alphabetical ordering¶
As part of the hierarchical collections support, the
path field on the Collection model now enforces alphabetical ordering. Previously, collections were stored in the order in which they were created - and then sorted by name where displayed in the CMS. This change will be handled automatically through migrations when upgrading to Wagtail 2.11.
However, if your project creates new collections programmatically after migrations have run, and assigns the
path field directly - for example, by loading from a fixture file - this code will need to be updated to insert them in alphabetical order. Otherwise, errors may occur when subsequently adding new collections through the Wagtail admin. This can be done as follows:
Update paths to match alphabetical order. For example, if you have a fixture that creates the collections
00010002respectively, these paths should be swapped.
Alternatively, after creating the collections, run the Python code:from wagtail.core.models import Collection Collection.fix_tree(fix_paths=True)
or the management command:python manage.py fixtree --full
Site.get_site_root_paths now returns language code¶
In previous releases,
Site.get_site_root_paths returned a list of
(site_id, root_path, root_url) tuples. To support the new internationalisation model, this has now been changed to a list of named tuples with the fields:
language_code. Existing code that handled this as a 3-tuple should be updated accordingly.
classname argument on StreamField blocks is now
Basic StreamField block types such as CharBlock previously accepted a
classname keyword argument, to specify a
class attribute to appear on the page editing form. For consistency with StructBlock, this has now been changed to
classname argument is still recognised, but deprecated.